New Beginnings

I have been looking around for a place to rent over the past year or so I would say. It has been a flurry of thoughts, whittling down criteria that I never knew I had in my head. After looking for some time, I realised that it had to be a place that offered me freedom of movement between my parents' place and my new place. I wouldn't want to stay permanently in the place because well, clearly I have a co-dependent relationship with my parents and let's face it, people live better in 'tribes' or families and communities. After hunting up and down, from HDB studios to rooms to condos, I finally found a place that I can comfortably say meets most of my criteria. I'm renting a master bedroom - so I have my own nice big room and my own toilet. The owner also rarely stays in the house so technically most of the time I have the place to myself. It was a bit dusty when I first moved some of my stuff in, so I took out a cloth and starting cleaning up the place thoroughly. My boyfriend also helped me with some of the grocery shopping as well as with figuring out some of the plumbing situations. It feels incredibly exciting, but also incredibly lonely, venturing into this new place on my own. I know that I do not have any commitment on the part of my boyfriend so I would technically be living alone, and I think the worst part about it is sleeping alone. I slept there for one night and it was soooo hard to get to sleep, cos I wasn't used to all the little things in the house, like the blind knob hitting the blinds, the red light from the tv that seemed jarringly bright in the total darkness, and so on. I think I woke up on and off several times until 3am, when I finally got to sleep. I wonder if it will get better the more nights I spend there, as with anything, it takes time to get used to it. I feel that I need to get used to it because I've been wanting it for so long, and yet the inertia is so great because it's so comfortable staying at home. How do I push myself out of this inertia? Maybe the first step is to come up with a schedule as to which days I'll spend there and which days at home: Monday: Home Tuesday: Home Wednesday: My place Thursday: My place Friday: Home (cos there's church on Sat morning) Saturday: My place Sunday: Home Maybe I could aim for this as of now and see how I do with it. I find that I'm more tired on weekdays so it might actually be easier for me to just immediately hit the sack and go to sleep there on workdays. Let's see how it goes. But otherwise, I'm actually REALLY EXCITED about this milestone in my life. The new place doesn't have wifi yet, and hopefully gonna get it settled tomorrow and in a few day's time. Also excited to start cooking new recipes over there, without the judgement of my parents saying it's not nice, or it's not something they like to eat, etc. I'm also intending to get a TV for the hall, so that when I invite friends over we can watch some shows or movies together. I've got lots of plans, and I'm glad I finally took the first step. Wooo good luck to me!

Comments

Popular Posts