memorable fireworks day

Omg i've just discovered the joys of michael buble!
I know I'm slow but seriously his voice is mesmerising.
Listen to HOME ppl!
I'm listening to it right now and feeling dreamy. Love, love.
Okay I'm going to stop gushing now.
This week has been a rather intense one.
Well, most weeks are but I guess this week is special cos last week we only went to school for like what...2 and a half days?
Yeah, one of the reasons why I love national day.
For some reason, this year I didn't find the national day celebration all that great.
It's either that I've turned into a cynic/harsh critic or that I've outgrown the joys of watching the parade and feeling patriotic.
I actually found it rather boring.
The fireworks were awesome though! Those were the parts that transfixed me.
Ahh, but don't remind me of fireworks.
My disastrous experience last Saturday of having to watch fireworks alone.
Alright alright, now that I've managed to capture my own interest I shall go ahead and recap what happened on that memorable(and sad) day.
I was supposed to meet my sis and Flo at city hall mrt at 6 on saturday so that we could go watch fireworks together.
But I was really tired and fell asleep, only to wake up at 7pm.
I had no idea why, but I felt an immense sadness at having to miss the fireworks.
So I asked my sis if I could still make it if i went there now.
So off i went to take the mrt to city hall.
When i went there, the place was so packed ( well, as usual really) that I couldn't move much faster than everyone else.
So off I went bustling through the crowds of CityLink, feeling so sure of myself.
Then I reached the end and I decided that I didn't know which way to turn to get to the merlion.
So I went right, and walked and walked, in the middle of crowds of couples and families.
I could feel myself sweating like a pig as I hustled my way through.
Eventually, I reached the end and decided I didn't know where I was so I decided to call my sis.
She didn't know how to direct me to the right place so I had to help myself.
I went to the officers in front of Esplanade mall and asked him how to get to the merlion.
He told me to cross some damn bridge and go back to the place where I was.
So I went right back to where I started, only to find that the road linked to the bridge had been barricaded off.
I took a DEEP breath, and asked the officer outside the Citylink how to get to my destination.
He told me to go left.
So I walked and I walked and I reached the Esplanade.
I cut through the Esplanade cos finally I was sure how to get to the merlion place my sis was talking about.
Then as I reached the door to the exit of the esplanade, guess what?
The exit had been barricaded off as well.
And when I asked the officer if I could go through, he said, waving his hands, " No no this place blocked off already. You want to go must walk one round and go the other side. Cannot cannot! This place closed already long time 'go".
I felt so exasperated.
I wanted to cry I swear. I could feel the tears forming in my eyes but i willed myself not to let them fall.
In the end, I went to this place near the makansutra coffeeshop and watched the fireworks from there.
ALONE.
I felt better for the 15 minutes that the display went on.
The fireworks were really nice, and the people around weren't being overtly annoying either.
On the way back, it all started again.
Walking through the freaking Citylink was like having to brave a jungle except that this was full of human ( i think) Singaporeans instead of plants and animals.
This one father, in the spirit of kiasuness that we are all so proud of, was shouting at the top of his lungs for everyone to move in front.
Move in front where? i thought to myself. There was no freaking space.
And you know what he did? He came, placed his hand on the small of my back and shoved me right into the crowd of people when I was at the bottom of the escalator.
And I mean SHOVED me right into everyone else, so that the people in front were pushed forward as well.
And then he dragged his kid in front and wiped off his sweaty red face.
Like, where do people get off thinking they can do stuff like that?
But I decided to just take it with a pinch of salt.
Silver lining in every cloud.
At least he got me to where I wanted about 45 seconds faster did he not?
I mean putting aside the brash rudeness, the blatant disregard for the fact that he did not even know me and that he was setting a poor example for his kid...hey, we got to where we wanted about a minute faster.
Thank you uncle.
Okay, so that was my pathetic day watching fireworks alone.
I've sworn off fireworks-watching for the next 5 years at least.
Oh and I can't go for history talk next week! Bleah, got training.
I'm wondering if I should go for the Brackett Project and skip training.
I mean, it sounds worth it.
I think I better go back to my readings now.
I'm gonna be out the whole day tmr after all.
Ciao. =)

Comments

Popular Posts